Vitus E-Sommet 297 VRS Mountain Bike
With a Shimano EP8 electronic motor drive, long-travel RockShox Suspension and a Deore 12-Speed gear transmission, the E-Sommet 297 VRS from Vitus is engineered and equipped for overcoming the most demanding terrains on Earth. It features an aluminium frame with an integrated battery and e-bike drive unit, for the perfect balance of power, agility and style.
The E-Sommet 297 features a 29″ wheel at the front and a 27.5″ at the rear – this means the rear chainstays can remain shorter for superior control while the 29″ front wheel enables it to retain exceptional pace and control anywhere.
RockShox Zeb Forks and Super Deluxe Rear Shock
Vitus has fitted this all-terrain enduro bike with RockShox Zeb Select forks and a Super Deluxe Select rear shock to soak up hits from the terrain and maintain traction anywhere. And, it rolls fast and stable upon DT Swiss H1900 wheels, wrapped in Maxxis tyres while a Brand-X Ascend dropper seatpost enables you to adjust your saddle height at the push of a button.
Winning multiple awards with the previous generation of the E-Sommet, the design engineers at Vitus were keen to evolve the much-loved ride qualities, while modernising key features. Vitus wanted to double down on what customers loved about previous E-Sommet models, which was the ride. With the new E-Sommet you can do everything you can do on your Enduro bike, but just more of it…. All the benefits of a large travel Enduro bike with the assistance on the way back up.
When Vitus started re-developing their E-Sommet platform they had two main goals:
- 1. Make their award-winning E-Sommet even better with an internal battery frame design, updated geometry and improved suspension kinematics.
- 2. Combine the best components in the industry with their new E-Sommet frame to offer the most capable E-MTB on the market while staying true to their customers by offering it at an accessible price point.
Internal Battery Frame Design
The much-loved E-Sommet is now updated with an integrated battery design, incorporated all aspects of the system within the frame. Engineers designed a battery door on the bottom of the downtube, and by adding strength in key areas and placing cut out on flat surface it ensured the frame retained all the riding performance.
Bigger Battery = More Range
A Larger 630Wh battery with the EP8 which has 36% less pedalling resistance versus the E8000 ensures you get more out of the battery with greater range. Combine this with the enhanced frame performance to ensure you enjoy every trail segment.
Vitus has updated the geometry to give a more confidence inspiring ride. Key changes are slacker head angles and reduced BB drop to aid technical climbing. They have also steepened the effective seat tube angle and made it progressively steeper as you go up the size range. This ensures that each frame size has an optimal sagged saddle position with no compromise.
By measuring saddle height at saddle lay back, Vitus looked at the position of the saddle relative to the bottom bracket to ensure when the bike was in sag you had an optimal pedalling position. The reason they steepened the seat angle on the larger frame sizes was to ensure that the saddle layback wasn’t too far behind the bottom bracket.
Shimano EP8 Electronic Motor Drive
EP8 sees the introduction of a new Magnesium housing, offering greater assistance on a wide range, weighing 10% less than the previous E8000, and 20% more torque going from 70Nm to 85Nm allowing you to take on the steepest climbs and toughest trails with traction and control. Paired with the E8036 630Wh integrated battery, the EP8 is ideally suited to the purpose of the E-Sommet.
Improved Suspension Performance
Vitus have gone with the same fixed lower shock mount as the Sommet & Escarpe, this also allowed them to refine the suspension kinematics. An improved consistent progressive leverage curve gives more consistent feel, supports and damping.
- Frame: E-Sommet 6061-T6 Aluminium Framset with 167mm Travel – Full internal cable routing, post mount disc brake, boost hub spacing, SRAM UDH hanger, Internal battery mount suitable for 504 & 630 WH internal batteries.
- Fork: Rockshox ZEB SELECT CHARGER RC 29″ BOOS 15X110 STEALTH DEBONAIR 170mm E-MTB GLOSS BLACK 44mm OFFSET 1.8” TAPER
- Rear Shock: RockShox Super Deluxe Select R 205×65
- Drive Unit: Shimano EP8
- Battery: Shimano E8036 630Wh
- Cycle Computer: Shimano EM800
- Assist Switch: Shimano E7000
- Bottom Bracket: Shimano BB52 68/73mm
- Crankset: Shimano EM600 165mm
- Chain: Shimano Deore M6100 12 speed
- Rear Derailleur: Shimano SLX M7100 12 speed
- Cassette: Shimano Deore M6100 12speed 10-51t
- Shifters: Shimano Deore M6100 I-Spec EV 12 speed
- Brakes: Shimano SLX M7120
- Rotors: Shimano RT66 203mm/203mm 6 Bolt
- Wheels: DT Swiss H1900
- Tyres: Maxxis Assegai Maxx Grip DD 29×2.5″/ Maxxis High Roller II Maxx Terra DD 27.5×2.5″
- Thru-Axles: SRAM Maxle Stealth 12x148mm, 180mmx13mm. M12x1.0 W/ UDH Hanger
- Stem: Nukeproof Neutron Stem 45mm 31.8mm
- Handlebar: Nukeproof Horizon 31.8mm Bars S/M: 12mm Rise 780mm Width L/XL: 25mm Rise 800mm Width
- Seatpost: Brand-X Ascend Dropper Seatpost 34.9mm – S: 125mm Drop; M: 150mm Drop; L/XL: 170mm Drop
- Seat Screw: Vitus bolt, 36.4mm
- Saddle: WTB Volt 142
- Gear Hanger: SRAM UDH
- Weight: 24.69kg
Specification: Vitus E-Sommet 297 VRS Mountain Bike 2021